Historic Uptown: Around the Neighborhood
The Uptown neighborhood lies to the immediate east of Downtown Denver, and offers an eclectic mix of elements: restaurants, retail, historic mansions, new construction loft and condominium projects, hospital campuses, small office buildings, entertainment venues and neighborhood gathering places. It is quickly becoming one of the most popular neighborhoods in the city, due in large part to its ease of accessibility to Downtown's core.
The architectural styles and housing options in Uptown cross the spectrum from Denver Squares, Victorians, apartment complexes, bungalows, Queen Anne-style houses with second-story porches and much more. A majority of the neighborhood is single family detached houses, with tree-lined boulevards that separate sidewalks from the street.
A longtime anchor in the Uptown neighborhood has been a complex of hospitals in the neighborhood's core. St. Joseph's, The Children's Hospital, Presbyterian/St. Luke's, and Kaiser Permanente are major presences and employers in the neighborhood, and many hospital supply, doctor's offices and related businesses are located in nearby buildings. The hospitals employ nearly 10,000 workers. (The Children's Hospital announced plans to move to the Fitzsimons area in Aurora in the next five years, along with the University of Colorado's Health Sciences Center.)
Uptown's southern boundary is Colfax Avenue, Denver's traditional retail and services corridor that is undergoing a remarkable recovery. New retail, housing and office development is changing Colfax's landscape, and the refurbished Fillmore Auditorium and Ogden Theater draw music fans for live performances. The numerous restaurants on 17th Street have resulted in a "Restaurant Row" destination.
View Larger Map
- The neighborhood is just east of downtown Denver.
- The district is between roughly 17th & 20th Avenues and Logan and Gaylord Streets.
- The neighborhood is very large and there are areas with a high density of local businesses, some include:
- the entire corridor of 17th Ave. from Logan to Gaylord St.
- 19th Ave. & Pennsylvania St.
- 17th Ave. & Vine St.
- 20th Ave. & Logan St.
- Get driving directions from Google Maps.
- E. 17th Ave. is one way, going east
- There is plenty of parking on cross streets. Watch for restrictions.
- The shops at Uptown Square are located on 19th & 20th between Logan & Washington. From 17th, take Logan north to 19th.
- Denver Bike Route Map (City of Denver)
- Denver Bike Maps & Resources (BikeDenver.org)
- Cherry Creek Trail System Map (Google)
- Denver B-cycle Station Maps (Bike Sharing Program)
- Bus Routes, Fares, and Schedule Info. (RTD Denver)
- Light Rail System Maps & Fare Info. (RTD Denver)
- eGo Car Share (Car Sharing Program)